Believe it or not, a carrot mask can help accelerate the process of getting a bronzed tan in the sun.
Anecdotal evidence also shows that the beta-carotene contained within carrots helps stimulate melanin production giving a healthy glow – even if you are not sunbathing.
It is even shown that beta-carotene enhances facial color, attractiveness and perceived health – so they make you more attractive.
How carrots help you tan
Carrots contain all sorts of stuff that have proven to be good for your health such as:
- beta carotene
- vitamin K1
Carrots come in all sorts of colors but are commonly orange.
Orange carrots get their color from beta-carotene, an antioxidant that your body converts into vitamin A. This nutrient promotes good vision and is important for growth, development, and immune function. The absorption of beta-carotene is up to 6.5 times better if the carrots are cooked
In addition to this carrots are also packed with plant compounds such as:
- Alpha-carotene which also converts into vitamin A
- Lutein which is important for eye health
- Lycopene that may reduce your risk of heart disease & cancer
- Polyacetylenes which may help against certain cancers such as leukemia
They are also a tasty snack with plenty of fiber.
So now we know carrots are good for you, we can use them to make a rich mask to stimulate melanin and give you a bronzed, healthy glow.
How to make a carrot face mask
This is an easy mask to make at home with ingredients you will likely find in your pantry.
The carrots are joined by honey and olive oil. Each of these ingredients has unique properties that make them perfect for a face mask.
Honey contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, A, C, D and K, organic acids, mineral salts, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and sodium. It has a calming and healing, tonic and antioxidant effect.
Olive oil is highly moisturizing and it helps remove impurities.
If you are cooking some carrots to eat why not pop in a couple of extra ones and use them as a face mask after?
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 TSP olive oil
- The juice from 1/3 of a lemon
- Peel two medium carrots and boil them until they become soft, around 15 mins.
- Mash the carrots until they become a paste.
- Add the honey, olive oil and lemon juice and mashed carrot into a blender
- Mix everything well to form a paste.
- If your mixture is too thick add a water a little at a time to thin it into a good consistency.
- Leave everything to cool for 10-15 mins
- Wash your face with warm water and dry it with a clean towel.
- Apply the mask on your face and neck and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off gently with warm water
Apply this mask every day for a week, then reduce usage to weekly.
If you do plan to sunbath make sure you use appropriate sunscreen for your skin type and tone.
Did you enjoy this article?
If you found this article useful please take a moment to tweet, like, or share this article by using the buttons at the bottom. I’d really appreciate it.
Also, if you are feeling extra generous please leave some encouraging feedback in the comments section at the bottom of the page. I love getting feedback from visitors. It will encourage me to write more natural treatments that are cheap and effective!
Thanks for taking the time to read my website and I hope to see you here again soon!