Turmeric is an Asian plant closely related to the ginger family.
It might immediately sound familiar if you are a curry fan, as turmeric is the spice that gives this dish its specific flavor.
Turmeric has been used for hundreds of years in alternative medicine and cosmetics in some parts of the world. It is normally available as a ground spice, as a supplement, or within shop-bought skin products.
Western medicine is just beginning to study turmeric and it’s benefits.
It is claimed that Tumeric, and specifically, a compound found within it called curcumin, has many health benefits, including:
- powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- suppresses many molecules known to play major roles in inflammation
- neutralizes free radicals on its own but also stimulates your body’s own antioxidant enzymes
- boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in your brain
- beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease
- causes changes at the molecular level that may help prevent and perhaps even treat cancer
- can cross the blood-brain barrier and has been shown to lead to various improvements in the pathological process of Alzheimer’s disease
- can help treat symptoms of arthritis and is in some cases more effective than anti-inflammatory drugs
- a study in 60 people with depression showed that curcumin was as effective as Prozac in alleviating symptoms of the condition
- due to its many positive health effects, such as the potential to prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s and cancer, curcumin may aid longevity
The active ingredients in turmeric can also bring a multitude of benefits for beauty.
- brighten skin
- reduce dark circles
- whiten teeth
- treat inflamed skin
- fight acne
- lighten acne scars
- protected against sun damage and aging
- reduce the appearance of stretch marks
- sooth dry skin
- get rid of dandruff
- stimulate hair growth
Tumeric is used in a lot of beauty products such as:
- face masks
- spot treatments
- skin serums
- face mist
- and many more…
It’s safe to say the cosmetic industry uses turmeric in a lot of high-end products.
However, you can enjoy the benefits of this amazing spice yourself using natural, homemade face masks – like the ones below.
This mask will help reduce dark circles by smoothing and hydrate the skin under your eyes.
You will need:
- 2 TSP turmeric
- 2 TSP pineapple juice
About the ingredients
Turmeric is originally from Southeast of Asia, but now the largest producer (80% of world production) is India. It is also grown in Indonesia, South America and sporadically in Africa.
If like me you’re a fan of curry then it is likely that you’ve got some turmeric in your kitchen cupboard as it is one of the main ingredients. It is also included on the list of spices that give the specific taste to Worcestershire sauce.
From my research, I learned that turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. Not only that, but turmeric is also highly effective in cosmetics, frequently used as a key ingredient in sun protection skin products.
- Put 2 TSP of turmeric in a bowl.
- Add 2 to 3 TSP of pineapple juice while stirring gently
- Mix until it becomes a paste
- Apply this mask on the dark circles every morning
This is a fantastic treatment for treating acne quickly and easily.
You will need:
- 2 TBSP Turmeric
- Add 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder to a bowl
- Add just enough water to obtain a paste
- Mix well
- Apply the paste gently to your spots and let it dry
- After it dries, remove it gently with a cotton pad soaked in warm water
This treatment should be repeated before bed until the spots begin to clear.
Did you enjoy this article?
If you found this article useful please take a moment to tweet, like, or share this article by using the buttons at the bottom. I’d really appreciate it.
Also, if you are feeling extra generous please leave some encouraging feedback in the comments section at the bottom of the page. I love getting feedback from visitors. It will encourage me to write more natural treatments that are cheap and effective!
Thanks for taking the time to read my website and I hope to see you here again soon!
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: