The ingredients to help you look youthful may be as close as your pantry. Homemade egg white masks are cheap, fun and work brilliantly well.
Why is egg white so good for your skin?
As I get older I have been searching for something that could help slow the aging process down a little. However, our skin is under attack 24/7 by many factors – ranging from involuntary exposure to harmful radiation (such as the sun) to diet.
Even the products we buy to improve our skin may actually cause problems (downloads a PDF). So even the most pampered skin can start showing signs of aging and fatigue.
So what can be done to look your best?
Well, after loads of research and skin trials at home I think I have found an answer…
Yep, I believe that the humble egg helps with youthful looks!
But what is it about this ingredient that makes it so good?
Well, to understand that you need to learn what egg white is made of.
Wikipedia says “Egg white consists primarily of about 90% water into which about 10% proteins (including albumins, mucoproteins, and globulins) are dissolved. Unlike the yolk, which is high in lipids (fats), egg white contains almost no fat, and carbohydrate content is less than 1%. Egg whites contain about 56% of the protein in the egg.”
In addition, studies show that eggs have among the highest protein efficiency ratio‘s recorded in any food source.
Specifically, it is the proteins within eggs that makes them such a powerful ingredient for DIY masks.
The consistency of the egg white also helps it bind ingredients together so when you create a homemade mask adding an egg helps hold everything together and make it easy to apply it to your face.
As the American Egg Board says “The chemistry of egg protein coagulation explains how egg products assist with binding ingredients in multi-component prepared food system, preventing products from crumbling, losing their shape or falling apart”.
One thing worth remembering when using eggs as an ingredient in a DIY mask is that they are used raw. Raw eggs may contain salmonella so there’s a risk of salmonellosis when you ingest raw eggs so please be careful and don’t eat them!
Look youthful with DIY egg white face masks
Interestingly, I have learned that egg proteins may potentially contribute to maintaining the elasticity of the skin. An egg contains about 69 different proteins, which have the magical power of reducing fine lines and give temporary relief for the deep ones.
Egg whites are high in collagen and vitamin A (which is essential in the development of products that are able to treat scars or burns).
This means a remedy which includes egg whites will help you get rid of problems like:
- large pores
- other rashes.
Just remember to mix your egg white really well each time you use it (by mixing it you will obtain a foamy egg white look).
So now you know the miracle ingredient, the next question is how to use them in a way that will benefit you and your skin care regime.
Shop bought Egg white masks
If you are the type of person that can’t be bothered ALWAYS making your own treatments at home then you might be interested in these egg white based products that are packed with brilliant ingredients.
Check carefully if they are suitable for your skin type. If you pick something suitable you will be delighted with the results:
- Skin Food Egg White Mask
- Egg White Bubble Cleanser
- Skin Food Egg White Pore Foam
- Victoria Sweden Egg Pack For Peeling Deadskin & Remove Blackheads & Shrink Pores
This once a day miracle egg white mask will make your skin glow and always gives great results.
It is easy to prepare and it will nourish your skin thoroughly giving you a radiant complexion. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and after leaving it on your skin for 15-20 minutes you can enjoy the results.
I also provide variations of this mask so that it is suitable for normal, dry, oily and sensitive skin.
It really is one of the most versatile skin care masks I know of.
- 1 x Egg White
- Separate the whites from the yolk and beat it well with a fork or by using a blender (it will end up looking like foam).
- Apply it on your freshly cleansed skin and leave it to work for 15 minutes.
- When you feel your skin tightening up, gently remove the egg white, with a cloth soaked in warm water.
- The result will pleasantly surprise you as your skin will radiate with freshness!
Variations for different skin types
- Normal skin
Add the juice from a grated carrot OR just the grated carrot plus a splash of milk
- Dry skin
Add 1/2 mashed avocado
- Oily skin
Add 1 TSP lemon juice and 1 TSP honey
- Sensitive skin
- Add plain organic yogurt
This is my ‘go to’ face mask if I feel my skin becoming a little too oily, or if I am suffering from an outbreak. I swear by it.
It only has 2 ingredients so it is super-easy to make and apply.
This mask will firm your skin and reduce your pores giving your complexion an airbrushed look.
The egg white has a mild exfoliating effect that removes the accumulated dirt from your pores.
- 1 egg white
- juice from ½ a lemon
- Break the egg and tip the egg white into a bowl.
- Beat the egg white until it turns a bit frothy.
- Add the lemon juice to your egg white.
- Apply the face mask on your face, avoiding the eyes and mouth area, where the skin is dryer and more sensitive.
- Leave your face mask on your skin for about 30 minutes.
- Gently rinse it off with warm water apply a good quality moisturizer.
The egg white helps reduce excess sebum in your skin by shrinking the size of your pores. It will also give your skin a firmer and more even look by greatly reducing larger pores.
Lemon brightens and exfoliates. It’s great for:
- acne prone skin
- mature or aging skin
- sun spots
- uneven skin tone
Lemon is also a natural source of vitamin C and rich in alpha hydroxy acids.
The combination of egg whites and lemon helps create the perfect face mask for acne or greasy skin.
The secret behind this mask is mixing the egg white with avocado.
In case you didn’t know, avocado oil is highly moisturizing, helps smooth out fine lines, and cleanses your skin. As if that wasn’t enough it also soothes sunburn.
When avocado is mixed with egg white it provides an unbeatable combination to tighten and moisturize your skin.
This mask will rejuvenate your skin and give it lovely glow without any oiliness.
- 1 egg white
- ¼ avocado
- 1 TSP milk
- 1 TSP honey
- First prepare the egg white by beating it until it turns a little frothy.
- Next you will mash the avocado before adding it to your egg white followed by the milk and honey.
- Apply the face mask on your face and leave it for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse it out with warm water.
Egg white will nourish your dry skin while avocado will hydrate it.
Avocado can leave your skin looking rejuvenated with a lovely glow within minutes.
Avocados contain numerous important nutrients including vitamins A, B, C, E, and K along with minerals such as potassium, copper, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus.
Many products on the market – such as moisturizers, facials, conditioners – contain avocado oil as it provides a great source of several important nutrients which help moisturize your skin.
Avocados are really good for:
- cleansing your skin
- reducing fine lines and wrinkles
- moisturizing – so its great for dry skin
- helps sooth sunburns
This dry skin face mask will provide great results quickly and effectively.
This is a great mask if your skin is a little irritated or blotchy. It works by combining the egg white with honey and yoghurt.
Honey has amazing antibacterial properties that help sooth irritation and encourage the growth of new skin tissue.
Yoghurt shares these antibacterial properties and also gently smooths the skin reducing fine lines.
- 1 egg white
- 1 TSP honey
- 1 TSP fresh plain organic yogurt
- 1 TSP cucumber juice
- In order to get the cucumber juice you have to grate it and then squeeze the juice out of it (grate enough cucumber to obtain the amount of juice you need).
- Beat the egg white in a bowl until it turns a little frothy.
- Slightly heat the honey and add it to your egg white along with the yogurt (make sure it’s fresh).
- After you have thoroughly mixed everything well, add the cucumber juice.
- Apply the mask on your cleansed face and leave it for 15 minutes until you feel it dry.
- Gently rinse it off with warm water.
- Apply a proper moisturizer to suit your skin type after each face mask.
Yogurt is so wonderful when applied to the skin. It contains lactic acid that will smooth and gently exfoliate your skin while also reducing fine lines and wrinkles by tightening your pores. There are also natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that can fight acne.
If used with regularity, yogurt has gentle bleaching powers that can reduce discoloration, age spots and blotches.
Cucumbers are also brilliant. They are extremely good for you either you eat them or introduce them in your beauty routine.
So use cucumbers with confidence as they can help:
- Sooth sunburn
- Refresh your skin tissue
- Hydrate your eye area
- Help to prevent breakouts and acne
- Cleanse your skin
- Lighten dark circles
This is a really simple mask that I enjoy regularly. It only has 2 ingredients so it only takes minutes to make but the effects are incredible.
It’s honestly like getting a face lift!
Egg whites tighten the skin and shrink your pores while the yogurt nourishes your complexion. It’s like getting a Botox treatment!
- 3 TBSP plain organic yogurt
- 1 egg white
- Beat the egg white until it turns frothy
- Add the yogurt to the egg white
- Apply this mixture on your face and leave it for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
You can apply this face mask once every 2 weeks.
This excellent egg white face mask recipe contains yogurt which is packed with vitamins and proteins and is great for skin care.
Researches show that yogurt cleanses and moisturizes skin.
Yogurt can be used on any type of skin but especially on mature skin because of its high lactic acid content. Other benefits that Yogurt provides for your complexion includes:
- Fights acne
- Prevents premature aging
- Diminishes blemishes and skin pigmentation
- Treats sunburn
- Hydrates skin
Exfoliation and skin tightening in a single mask.
The mixture of oatmeal and egg white works on every skin type making this a very versatile mask.
But don’t think that this makes it a master of none – this mask is as effective on dry skin as it is on oily.
Best of all this easy to make mask works wonders on fine lines.
Hydrate and calm dry or sensitive skin while gently exfoliating it too with this face mask.
- 1 egg white
- 1 TSP oatmeal
- 1 TSP honey
- Beat the egg white until it turns a little foamy.
- Add the honey and the oatmeal, mixing it through really well.
- Apply the mixture with care all over your face, neck and cleavage.
- Leave it for about 20 minutes before rinsing it out with a cloth soaked in warm water.
- Afterwards apply a suitable moisturizer that works for your complexion.
All 3 ingredients in this mask are good for reducing the appearance of fine lines.
It also provides mild exfoliation, which is great for sensitive skin.
Peach & sour cream face mask (for combination or sensitive skin)
This particular DIY face mask is suitable for people with combination or sensitive skin. It is great because it has some good anti-aging properties.
If you are looking for a youthful glow then this mask made with peaches and sour cream would be a good choice.
- 1 ripe peach
- 1 egg white
- 1 TBSP sour cream
- Combine the peach, egg white, and sour cream together
- Apply this mask on your clean face and leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off gently then apply a moisturizer
You can apply this face mask once per week.
The ingredients in this mask do not irritate the skin, so it is suitable for all complexions.
Peaches are among my favorite fruits to eat because of their sweet juicy taste and lovely smell. They are also a great source of vitamins and minerals with important therapeutic properties and they can moisturize the body (87% of peaches content is water).
Sour cream, our other ingredient, contains lactic acid, which helps the skin retain moisture. This skin-enhancing ingredient can be also a natural scrub and it boosts the production of collagen.
There are a lot of beauty and skincare products on the market which contains lactic acid such as moisturizers, shampoos, and soaps. However, you can also get the benefits of this wonderful ingredient by using it in your own DIY treatments.
Did you enjoy this article?
If you found this article useful please take a moment to tweet, like, or share this article by using the buttons at the bottom of the page. I’d really appreciate it.
Also, if you are feeling extra generous please leave some encouraging feedback in the comments section at the bottom of the page. I love getting feedback from visitors. It will encourage me to write more natural remedies that are cheap and effective!
Thanks for taking the time to read my website and I hope to see you here again soon!