I really suffer from hair envy. It seems like everyone has thick, long, luscious hair that looks so healthy. It bounces and glows and looks amazing. But not mine.
I have to work really hard on my hair care routine to look presentable.
My day-to-day routine includes using hair brushes every night before bed, drying my hair less often, sleeping on a bamboo pillowcase and regularly using my unique castor oil and vitamin A hair mask.
First things first, here a list of my tips to try in order to ensure you avoid damaging your hair and give it as much chance to grow as possible:
- Have your split ends trimmed regularly
- Try not to bleach or color your hair
- Brush your hair before bed to spread the natural oils
- Don’t overheat your hair when drying or straightening
- Don’t shampoo your hair daily
- Rinse your hair in cold water
- Sleep on a silk or bamboo pillowcase (yes really!)
- Use a healthy homemade hair mask with Vitamin A
Hair experts agree that you should have your hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks. This will prevent split ends and give the appearance of long healthy, shiny hair. It won’t make your hair grow any faster but it will make your hair look more luscious and thick.
It is also well known that coloring your hair, especially with bleach, damages the hair follicle causing more split ends and reducing hair growth.
Brushing your hair from the scalp to the ends before bed will increase blood flow which helps hair growth. It also spreads the natural oils over the length of your hair strengthing and conditioning it. This simple process will moisturize your hair and ensure it stays in optimum health.
Many of us a hair dryer or other heating tools on our hair every day. However, this process dries your hair out making it brittle and easier to damage. If you must dry your hair use a protection spray and keep the heat as low as possible.
As I already mentioned, the natural oils found in your hair and scalp do a great job of conditioning and toning your hair. Shampoo strips these oils out leaving your locks unprotected. This is why you should avoid shampooing your hair daily. Instead, shampoo 2-3 times per week to ensure optimum hair health.
Like your skin, the pores in your hair cuticles need to be closed before you apply products to it. This ensures your hair is protected before you begin to style it. Luckily, this is very simple to do – rinse your hair in cold water and you will ensure your hair is ready to be styled.
Your pillowcase is actually more important than you may think. For 8 hours every day, you have your hair on it. If the surface is rough then it can catch causing hair to split, pull, tangle and break. This is why a silk or bamboo pillowcase is best. The smooth surface prevents catching and ensures a night of great sleep.
How to make your hair grow
The hair root must be intensively nourished and oxygenated to ensure healthy hair growth.
This can be achieved not only through the oxygen and nutrients that blood vessels provide but by using treatments that provide essential substances to your hair.
Hair treatments you can buy often contain ingredients such as lemon juice and mint as they stimulate blood flow to the scalp. My homemade hair mask not only stimulates blood flow but also helps rejuvenate the hair by providing vitamin A.
But before I talk about my mask there are a few things worth remembering when treating your hair:
- Keeping your hair warm opens the pores in the hair follicle allowing the nutrients to penetrate and nourish it
- The longer the mask can be left on your hair the better. It allows the mask to be absorbed by your hair and allow it to do its work.
- When applying the mask to your hair massage your scalp vigorously with your fingertips. This will stimulate blood flow further making the mask more effective.
This is a brilliant mask to condition your hair and prevent split ends. I also believe it has helped my hair grow more quickly.
- 1 TBSP castor oil
- 1 TBSP juice from a lemon
- 1 TBSP honey
- 10 drops of oily vitamin A
- 1 ampoule of vitamin E (or 5 capsules depending on how you purchase it)
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl
- Mix them vigorously until all the ingredients are combined
- Brush your hair from the roots to the ends removing all tangles and spreading the natural oils
- Use your hands to apply your mask to your hair working from the roots outwards to the tips
- Once applied, massage your scalp for 2-4 minutes using the tips of your fingers
- Wrap a warm towel around your hair
- Leave for an hour
- Shampoo your hair as normal
You should use this mask weekly
Castor oil is derived from the seed or bean of the castor plant.
It is claimed that castor oil helps with menstrual congestion disorders, warts, boils, ringworm, and fungal and bacterial infections.
I have also found it helps improve the condition of my hair. It even helps me with rapid hair growth.
Did you enjoy this article?
If you found this article useful please take a moment to tweet, like, or share this article by using the buttons at the bottom. I’d really appreciate it.
Also, if you are feeling extra generous please leave some encouraging feedback in the comments section at the bottom of the page. I love getting feedback from visitors. It will encourage me to write more natural treatments that are cheap and effective!
Thanks for taking the time to read my website and I hope to see you here again soon!