Dry skin can be caused by a number of things such as changes in temperature or humidity, using cosmetics with harsh chemicals, or an underlying skin condition. A good homemade mask made with high-quality ingredients can relieve dry skin.
What is dry facial skin
Your face is moisturized by a natural oil secreted by the skin called sebum. Too much sebum gives you an oily complexion and can lead to acne. Too little sebum results in dry skin.
Dry skin may look flaky, dull or rough. It is often itchy as it lacks moisture.
You often find that dry skin appears as the weather cools and you switch on central heating systems. The rapid temperature or humidity level change from indoors and out can dehydrate the skin over the winter months.
Other causes include:
- unbalanced skin pH
- too much time in the sun
- dry air
- overwashing your face
- harsh chemicals in your cosmetics
- skin conditions, such as dermatitis, and psoriasis
Here are some simple lifestyle changes you can make to help prevent dry skin:
- Use gentle cosmetics designed for sensitive and dry skin
- Make homemade facemasks packed with ingredients to help moisturize dry skin
- Apply a moisturizer containing SPF after washing your face
- Drink lots of water
- Don’t sunbathe for long periods of time
- Don’t use tanning beds or other artificial tanning systems
- Use a humidifier over the winter months to add moisture into the dry air
- Stop smoking
- Don’t drink too much coffee or alcohol as they dehydrate you
Like me, you may prefer to use natural moisturizers instead of shop-bought ones packed with chemicals. I suggest moisturizing dry skin using:
- Aloe vera
- Coconut oil
- Shea butter
If you have oily, normal or combination skin you may find coconut oil or sea butter may cause breakouts.
Another natural product I really like to use in facemasks is full-fat milk. It balances the pH of the skin, regenerates and tones.
Indeed, milk has been considered a beauty elixir since ancient times and the recent trend of milk baths as a treatment for dry skin has taken social media by storm. Although there is a lack of scientific evidence of the benefits there is a lot of anecdotal stories from people that have tried it.
It is claimed that milk can deeply nourish and soften skin as well as help regenerate damaged cells.
I have even used milk as a skin lotion for clogged pores. In fact, I have even removed make-up with a cotton ball soaked in a bit of fresh milk.
Homemade facemask for dry facial skin
This is the perfect mask for people with dry facial skin. It is also great for people who have any skin type to make in winter to prevent dry skin developing. It’s also great if you have been sunbathing and you feel you have dried out your skin.
Give this face mask for dry skin a try and I’m sure you will be delighted with the results.
You will need:
- Dried orange peel from 2-3 oranges
This mask takes a bit of planning, as the orange peel needs to be left to dry for 24-48 hours before being used in this mask.
I tend to put my peel to one side after eating an orange so I always have a stash of dried peel to hand.
For the peel:
- Wash your oranges thoroughly
- Peel them as normal and put the discarded peel to one side
- Eat the orange 🙂
- Leave the peel for 24-48 hours until it dries out
- Once dried put the peel in a blender and blitz it until it turns into a powder
To make the mask:
- Add a tablespoon of milk to a tablespoon of powdered orange peel
- Mix it thoroughly until you get a paste
- Gently apply the mask to the face avoiding your eyes
- Leave it on your skin for up to 30 mins
- Gently remove the mask using warm (not hot) water
- Moisturize using a gentle moisturizer with an SPF
Repeat this mask weekly for best results.
Did you enjoy this article?
If you found this article useful please take a moment to tweet, like, or share this article by using the buttons at the bottom. I’d really appreciate it.
Also, if you are feeling extra generous please leave some encouraging feedback in the comments section at the bottom of the page. I love getting feedback from visitors. It will encourage me to write more natural treatments that are cheap and effective!
Thanks for taking the time to read my website and I hope to see you here again soon!